auger wear

auger wear

Postby trentini on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Elkin 9" wear blade and Elkin 9" solid augers(see attached photos). The inlet seems to be experiencing excessive wear due to poor auger design. If you look closely, you will see some of the center shafts are worn through next to the mixing paddles, and some of the lower shafts without backing plates are also worn through.We also had a problem with Cemen-Tech 9" pump master augers wearing out prematurely at the top.
All of these augers were only capable of producing between 1,200 and 1,500 cubic yards over a six month period. Does anyone know a manufacturer who is using better quality parts?
Attachments
solid w hole 2.JPG
solid w hole 2.JPG (35.35 KiB) Viewed 7065 times
worn-broken 3.JPG
worn-broken 3.JPG (34.76 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
wear blade w hole 3.JPG
wear blade w hole 3.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
trentini

Re: auger wear

Postby nmadsen on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 am

This is a response to a really old post, but I think it may be helpful to someone. Perhaps the areas of high wear could be hardfaced. Martin Sprocket and Gear (probably the largest screw conveyor maker - probably sells screws to Elkin and the others), could do that. I dont know how much it costs, but it is worth consideration. I've also seen Plasma deposited Tungsten Carbide (Hardest of all next to Diamond?) on the net. (PlasmaPros.com) That could be pricey - haven't checked. Another way would be to lightly weld in bars or plates to make the concrete "jump" over the wear area. Could be as simple as a piece of #3 rebar, or a grade 8 bolt (hard) or AR400 or 500 (really hard -500 is getting fairly close to Ni-Hard). Also, the pics seem to show shoes that have some life left in them. As the bottom shoes tend to wear much faster, "trade" them with upper (less worn) shoes before they wear out too far. Once the shaft wear problem is taken care of, perhaps your supplier could provide flight pieces to replace the worn ones. I would rather spend more up front and have things run longer.
nmadsen

Return to Equipment