Wake up!-- Winter hibernation is over

Wake up!-- Winter hibernation is over

Postby mhauer on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 am

Hello everyone.

Winter is finally coming to an end. This means that we all have to get back to work. I just want to remind everybody that we have to do things to get ready so we don't look stupid on our first job and ruin it. What I am about to tell you is the ugly truth. Your Mamma didn't tell you because she loves you and the Manufacturers won't tell you because they love selling parts.
First, I would like to remind that as our winter bank accounts get low, we all can't give in to despartion and just plow out there delivering concrete that might freeze and get ruined, or have material freeze up in the truck - remember last December?? Do some preparing so the proficient way you were working last year flows seamlessly into this year.
Now,be sure to clean out or at least, check out your admix tanks. Many chemicals will be ruined or have diminished capabilities if they froze at all during storage. Also, some chemicals, such as air- entraining fliuds can form solids, or get "boogers" floating around in there that can plug flowmeters and metering valves. Be sure to clean out any water strainers as the stuff that they protect you from all year tends to harden up during storage and will reduce water output. I like to get up in my cement bin and poke around with a stick to see if there are any cement clumps that could have formed due to water leaks or condensation. Be the hero and turn your metering wheels, cement augers or whatever genius design you were saddled with and turn it over by hand to make sure it's still free moving. This practice will keep you from possibly getting to the first job of the year, setting up, pushing the "go" button and SNAP, there goes the shear pin!
Hopefully your truck is empty during storage so you can check things like the chassis, motor, and all of the mixer components for damage or wear. It is always a good idea to put the truck out in the yard and run it and the mixer at an idle for a while with no material in it just to loosen things up a bit.-**put water in the tank so you don't fry the water pump bearings by running them dry** Now use some grease on the thing. Use lots - like your not the one paying for it. Old dry grease impregnated with last year's grit is worse than no grease at all - so flush it out.
By now you should have the idea of what needs to be done. But don't forget the loader, silo, the water pump, your phones and voicemail functions. Does the calculator still have a good battery in it? Do any of the pens still work? Tire pressures, oil levels ,tread depths and paperwork is a good idea too - the truck Nazis have had a long winter too!
Be proactive not reactive and your days will not suck! Get out there, be safe, make money and kick some tail !!!

P.S. Simon - sorry for the lousy punctuation. I don't do it on purpose.
mhauer

Re: Wake up!-- Winter hibernation is over

Postby harberconcrete on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 am

WOW, I guess there is at least one advantage to living in an area that almost never has a hard freeze.
Brad
harberconcrete

Re: Wake up!-- Winter hibernation is over

Postby christopherfeik on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:58 am

Why are we hibernating? We worked all winter long cleaning out our truck while we delivered bulk road salt instead of concrete. My auger ad bins are as clean as possible. Might be a suggestion for those of you who were a little slow this season.
christopherfeik

Winter House Cleaning

Postby LeeMR on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Anyone ever wondered why it was taking so long to fill your cement bin from your silo? I pulled the boot off the top of my auger, and noticed that the 6" hole at the top end of my auger was reduced to about 3" in diameter. And I wondered why my cement flow was so slow.

I then decided to pull the inspection cover off the bottom of my auger and found that I also had hardened cement built up in that area as well. I have a low profile silo, so I don't know if this is more an issue with my type of silo, as opposed to the upright versions? Just thought I'd pass on my experiences on this, as I would think that hardening due to moisture in the air might be an issue with all silos.

Might be a good idea to check yours, before you get busy!

Lee G.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Return to Equipment