Aggregate Storage Bins

Aggregate Storage Bins

Postby LeeMR on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm putting together plans for aggregate storage bins. Anyone's input would be helpful.

My idea is to use precast concrete blocks (2' high each), using three courses, to form the lower walls of the bins. I plan to size the bins at 10' wide by 19' wide on the interior dimensions. On top of the blocks I am going to install Shelterlogic storage shelters (12'w x 20'l x 8'h). Based on the shelter dimensions, this will give me a door height of 12', which will give me ample room to drive my loader inside. I will be able to back my dump truck inside, and partially lift the body to unload. I will probably have dump a partial load, then push the aggregate up with the loader. I calculate that I should easily be able to store approx. 40-50 cy of aggregate in each bin.

Ideally, I'd like to pour a concrete slab with radiant heating, but i think that will be in the future. My bins will be sitting in a position that will get a great deal of sun, so solar heating should help keep the aggregates from freezing during cold weather.

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

Lee G.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Re: Aggregate Storage Bins

Postby smnstn on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me. But I discovered over the years that while a 10' width sounds fine, as the truck is only 8.5 feet wide, that leaves only 9" clearance on each side. Anything wider than that will help you avoid little scrapes and bashed mirrors, or even cracked fenders. But I'm an old time concrete cowboy. My truck had two transmissions, twenty speeds forward and four in reverse. I could get stuck on level ground with that thing. The power divider was simply a labeled switch on the dash. I don't think it did anything. What a treat it has been to ferry new rigs with air seats and short-throw, single stick transmissions and cruise control. But they still need room to ease in and out of the bin parameters.

Simon Stanfield
smnstn

Postby LeeMR on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:53 am

Hey Simon,

That is a good point..the width that is. The shelter is actually 12' wide, and I was going to center it on the 2' wide blocks, leaving 10' inside. Maybe I'll just set the shelter on the inside edge of the block, and leave most of the block exposed beyond the edge of the shelter. That will give me closer 11' 6" inside. I should be able to do u-turns inside the bins then...lol.

By the way....if you ever put a driver today in an old Mack with a quad box, they would look at you with two heads!! Two sticks?? You know you're a pro, when you can drive a quad box, steering with your knee, shifting both sticks with one hand, and drinking your coffee with the other hand....lol!

Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby harberconcrete on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 pm

You may also want to try vibrators on your dump truck to see if you can empty inside your bunkers.
BradHarber
harberconcrete

Return to Equipment