Where to buy wear shoes for 9" auger?

Where to buy wear shoes for 9" auger?

Postby JayD on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello; Thanks for your replys Simon & Harbour Concrete, to my earlier queries They do help as do many of the other post as I study them.
I am working on a 9" by 9' mixing auger that is worn to less than 9 inches in dameter with no wear shoes. The wear varies from 1/2" to 1/4" . Will the addition of wear shoes restore the original diameter ?. & where would be the best place to find these wear shoes ?.
Thanks;
JayD
JayD

Re: Where to buy wear shoes for 9" auger?

Postby harberconcrete on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:13 pm

The company that made the auger would certainly have wear blades, I don't know but it would not surprise me if each manufacturer made theirs a little bit differently. If the auger has not been worn past the bolt holes for the wear blades new wear blades will restore the auger to its original diameter. If the auger was originally designed without wear blades I am not sure how you would go about finding blades the right shape and size. Also I would assume that most/all manufacturers and some non manufacturers would sell a new auger screw assembly or just the flitting for their units.
Brad Harber
(831) 915-5875
California time zone
harberconcrete

Re: Where to buy wear shoes for 9" auger?

Postby smnstn on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Harbercrete is correct in his assessment of the bolt holes, etc. But if there were no wear plates to begin with, there will be no bolt holes. If this is an Elkin auger, there are kits available to put blades on that will fit the pitch and twist of that auger assembly. However, it might be simpler and cheaper to just replace it with an auger from Elkin designed to be a replacement auger. Without blades, it must be hardened material. With blades, this is going to produce a significant load on your hydraulic motor with a full mixer. So, you need to contact the manufacturer and find out if you have enough power to do this. An alternative might be polyurethane wear plates from Don Mullin. Give him a call on the phone and see what he says. Whether you can go with blades or not, it might be a good idea to replace the auger itself so you have an original configuration to scale measurements from.

The Ni-Hard, or AR plates are cast by foundries for the manufacturers of mobile mixers. Cemen Tech and Texaloy are two sources, and they have web sites as well as paper ads in the concrete magazines. Don Mullin could also help here with alternative sources if you want a selection of shapes hardnesses and pricing.

But, please find out if your mixer drive can power a plated auger. It may not be able to. At the very least, you may have to alter hydraulic demand and flow. And don't forget to use spacing washers to prevent cracking and breaking new plates.

Simon Stanfield
smnstn

Return to Equipment