Dust supppression

Dust supppression

Postby CONEXPCJ on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:34 am

Has anyone come up something to manage the dust associated with loading cement powder?
Concrete Express, Inc.
Salem, CT
conexpcj@comcast.net
CONEXPCJ

Re: Dust supppression

Postby harberconcrete on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 pm

I load out of a low profile silo and have round openings on both sides ot the center hatch for the pneumatic fill option on my cement bin. I use one of the filter bags and having cut open the top end I am able to pull it over the fill tube and secure it with a bungee cord. It is not perfect but reduces the fugitive dust to very little. For those who do not want to add a hatch on there cement bin or who need to load into the center of their bin I think it would be fairly easy to fab up a piece that would sit where your bag breaker does that would cover the bin opening and have a opening with a raised flangelarge enough for a filter bag of some sorts. Brad Harber (831)915-5875
harberconcrete

Postby random on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:08 pm

I think your on the right track Brad. A drop in insert with two ports one for fill one for venting through a filter bag.
Somthing low profile enough to leave in place and be able to close the lid would be great. I've put a 10" port in 125 cubic foot bin with two 12" filter bags for venting but that was on a new build. It works great but not everybody wants to cut , weld and paint on there mixer to solve a dust problem. Thanks for the input.

Mark
random

Postby LeeMR on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:05 am

Hey Chris,

This may not be the best solution, but on my silo, I have a fairly long hose. By accident, I noticed that when the hose end is below the level of the cement in my truck bin, it greatly reduced the dust. So, instead of trying to keep my hose above the cement level, I just leave it right in the cement. I sit on top of the truck bin, and slightly pull the hose up as the bin fills, leaving the end of the hose just buried below the cement in the bin.

As you know, cement flows like water, and leaving the hose in the cement doesn't seem to inhibit the flow. Like I said, not a high tech solution, but it does greatly decrease the dust.

Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Return to Equipment