Hot water for winter concrete

Hot water for winter concrete

Postby concrete-steve on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 am

How do you heat your water for winter concrete?

We have a boiler for heat in our building and presently have a spare tank which we keep hot and draw from to heat the water on our trucks. I am looking to eliminate the tank, does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a heat exchanger....but which one/what kind and how do I size it?

Steve
concrete-steve

Re: Hot water for winter concrete

Postby Mark X on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 pm

The last four years i have used a 440,000 btu 12 volt diesel fired boiler mounted on the side of my reimer mixer. In 90 minutes it will heat 400 gallons of water to 180 degrees. My last modification was to add a used 50 gal fuel tank and gas driven roller pump to circulate water from the boiler to this tank. The original hydraulic water pump circulates water between the 400 gal truck tank and the 50 gal hot tank.

The thing i like is that if you only have a 1 or 2 yd pour the water is ready and hot in ten minutes without having to heat a large amount of water. Also after you are done pouring, you can raise the temperature in the hot tank to make for an easy cleanup.

The only drawback is I need about 1 hour between full loads to get the water back up to temperature. In hindsight I wish I had gone to a 660,000 btu boiler.

Any questions let me know.

Mark
Mark X

Postby LeeMR on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey Mark,

I looked at a company called Sioux, that makes hot water units for concrete. In talking with a couple of people, the general opinion was that these portable heat units were too susceptible to road vibrations and damage. What's been your experience, and what is the brand name of the unit you use?

Thanks,

Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby concrete-steve on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 am

Mark,

Thanks for the information. Our trucks are heated in the shop and sent out, which looses temperature quickly. Is this arrangement something you put together, or purchased as an assembly? What make/model is it? Thanks again for the information, this website is great for ideas!!!!

Steve
concrete-steve

Postby CONEXPCJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am

Guys, this might be of interest to you. Spoke to Mark Gallagher concrete in New Jersey last week and he turned me on to this company. They make a unit for mobile-mix trucks. Might want to take a look at it...

http://www.infernotherm.com

WWW.Infernotherm.com 15,000 gal Waste Oil Fired Tank

For the first time in the history of the concrete industry, a hot water heating system has been developed that successfully incorporates a waste oil-fired burner with a unique heat exchanger that enables you to use nearly any type of waste oil instead of #2 fuel oil to produce hot water.

Designed for ease of maintenance as well as optimum performance, the waste oil-fired system is easily incorporated with the standard Infern-O-Therm hot water unit and chiller. Kits are also available for installation into existing units.

Units available up to 1 million BTU input.

Infern-O-Therm heating system for mobil mix concrete trucks.
Last edited by CONEXPCJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Concrete Express, Inc.
Salem, CT
conexpcj@comcast.net
CONEXPCJ

Postby random on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks for sharing that Chris. I've been looking for a chiller and they have them as well.

Mark D
random

Postby Mark X on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:28 am

I haven't had any problems caused by road vibration although I remove the unit for summer operations which takes about 30 minutes. My unit is manufactured in Edmonton. It looks very similar to the Sioux units I've seen. I said what I was using the unit for and the dealer never mentioned any concerns. These type of units are used all the time on what we call hydro-vac trucks that expose underground utilities.

I put this arrangement together myself after purchasing the the boiler (coil, burner, thermostat,low water shut off) from a local dealer. Much the same as buying a hot water pressure washer without the piston pump and wand.
Mark X

Postby LeeMR on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Hey Mark,

You're setup sounds interesting. Do you have any more information, such as a website where you bought your components, or a company name? Also, how much did it end up costing you to put your unit together? When I priced the portable Sioux units, I think the cost was somewhere around $6-7000 for a truck mount unit. A little pricey for my liking. Especially as one heater is for one truck. Get's expensive with multiple trucks.

I was also looking into a company called Clean Burn, that makes waste oil heaters. They make a boiler type waste oil heater. My thought was that i could kill three birds with one stone. One, I could get hot water for my mixer by putting on a separate zone, so to speak, with a heat exchanger, that I could quick disconnect to my truck tank to heat the water. Second, I could hook up a Modine heater to supply heat for my garage. Third, I could burn my waste oil and do all my heating for zip! The Clean Burn rep estimated about a $7-8000 cost for such a setup. They're techs said that had not had anyone as about using one of their units for this purpose, but they were intrigued. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on calculations as to how long it would take to heat my 500 gal tank, to see if it is practical. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out.

Meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions that anyone may have, that are more cost effective for a couple of trucks.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby concrete-steve on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 am

Lee,

Look into Agsolutionsllc.com for a boiler. They use a Kagi burner, which is very reliable.

Steve
concrete-steve

Postby Mark X on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

My unit cost $4000 U.S. in Oct 07 from pumpsandpressure.com plus 200 for the roller pump and a used gas engine I had laying around. I used a roller pump so that I can push the water thru the coil at 100 psi to get enough gpm thru the 1/2 inch piping in the coil otherwise the burner is cutting in and out every couple minutes.

Here are some calculations that might help.
A btu is the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree in one hour.
Therefore to heat your 500 gallon tank form 50 to 180 in 45 minutes will take

500 gals x 8.3 lbs/gal x 130 degrees divide by .75 hrs = 719,000 btu.

Thats at 100 % efficiency so add another 15% so you will need about 827,000 btu. boiler.

I am open to corrections if this isn't correct but this gives you some numbers to play with.

Mark
Mark X

Next

Return to Equipment