Advertising that Pays Off

Advertising that Pays Off

Postby LeeMR on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Just a general question here. Looking for inputs from others regarding what types of advertising they have had experience with, that provide profitable results. And the other side of that coin...which ones don't work?
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Re: Advertising that Pays Off

Postby smnstn on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Lee -- Simon Stanfield here. Over the last quarter-century just about everything has been tried from skywriting to near-naked cheerleaders. The Yellow Pages, plus whatever online similar vehicle you can find is what pays off. The ad should be smallish in the interest of economy, with key points in easy to read type: PAY FOR WHAT YOU USE, METERED DELIVERY, CUSTOM MIXED, OFF-HOURS, ABSOLUTELY FRESH, etc. Whatever you want to emphasize. How about a heading along the lines of WE SELL SERVICE ... THE CONCRETE IS PRETTY GOOD, TOO? Be creative, but stay away from potentially offensive kitsch, such as "Get it Laid", painted by one of my customers on the front of his cargo cab front in letters about a foot high. I still have some of the old Daffin ideas on file, if you want to discuss them in further depth.

Marketing ideas have changed, but your message needs to be clear. I see at least a dozen ads on the nights I watch TV, and have no idea whatsoever they are trying to sell, or if the logo is present, there seems to be no connection between the action on the screen and the product.

While on the subject, TV ads do not work. Radio ads have been minimally successful. Local shopper ads are nearly as good as Yellow Pages. Also, make sure whatever phone number you list for response is answered, even if by recorded message. And there are some of these that are really stupid and others that are businesslike and acceptable. Again, we can discuss some good wording for your neighborhood.

Fliers with action pictures with recognizable stuff around the pour can be hugely successful. Nothing fancy, just a cheap B&W of your truck discharging concrete in front of the Patriots Stadium, or something similar, with all your salient points bulleted underneath with contact information included. Direct mail is good, or even a 90 second in-person call on pre-qualified (by state, county and municipality) contractors and public works departments.

S.
smnstn

Postby smnstn on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Here's another comment concerning advertising. Back in the 1940s and 50s, Lincoln (I think) automobiles had a slogan, "Ask the man who owns one". What a concept! If you have some projects out there you're particularly proud of, you might ask the owner if they would object to being a recommendation for your service. Word of mouth is great, because it's a customer and not you saying how good you are. A variation on that theme is the fact that when I come to work with a customer in the field, not only do I work with the mobile mix equipment, but I will accompany my client to regional D.O.T. offices, departments of public works, contractors and other key parties to explain how the mixers work and why they're better than the traditional drum trucks with batched delivery. So, if you have a tough sell out there, together we can probably get you approved.

Simon Stanfield
smnstn

Postby CONEXPCJ on Tue May 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Any opportunity you get to have your truck in a high-profile area, take advantage of it! If you are donating some crete for a project, try to make sure the local media knows what is going on. It's a good chance to get some press. Placemats at dining establishments and handing out such things as pens and gloves seem to work well to get the name around, and are relatively inexpensive. Having a good website has paid off more than I thought it would. In todays day and age, it is very important to have a strong presence on the world wide web. Some people use it as a resource more so than the phonebook when going to order concrete. I have been blown away with new customers that found me on the web!
Concrete Express, Inc.
Salem, CT
conexpcj@comcast.net
CONEXPCJ

Postby LeeMR on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 pm

In regards to a web presence, I have to agree. I posted a modest web site, signed up with verizon online for web advertising, and voila! I always ask potential customers when they call where they found us. In, I would say, 9 out of ten calls, people have got my name through some form of web search (google, yellow pages online, etc). Hard copy advertising has given very poor results comparatively speaking.

I also sign up for any free web listing that I can get my hands on. Sites such as adgridwork.com, merchantcircle.com, http://www.buildingtrades.com, http://citysquares.com, www.exteriorcontractors.com, www.generalcontractorsbycity, www.hire-contractors.com, Zubican.com, will all give you a free listing, including name, phone number, web site reference, description of what you do, all for FREE!! And these are just a few of the many sites that do this. It's just one more way to spread your name around the web. Try it...do a google search for "concrete, norfolk, ma"....and see what comes up at the top, or near the top of the listings..... "MIX-RITE CONCRETE"! It works...and you can't beat the price!

Another avenue I'm trying, starting in July is an ad on shopping carts in the local grocery stores. It makes sense to me that it would work. EVERYONE, at some point, goes to the grocery store right? In a newspaper, or magazine, you generally only flip past the page your ad is one ONCE! How it works, is you you buy and ad for 6 month intervals. You get your ad on one of every six carts in the store. Think about it.... on average, a person spends probalby 45 minutes to an hour doing their weekly shopping. That's a lot of exposure. I'll keep you posted when I get the results.

Lee G.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby Darin@DarCole on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Word of mouth is always going to be one of your very best advertising methods! Give people great service and they will use you again or recommend you to others! Also on your company vehicles (pickups, cars, your daily driver, mobile, etc) have a local decal shop make up logos for the brow of your windsheild, back window, tailgate of your company name, slogan, phone number or website. You wouldnt believe how many people will write down your number while driving down the interstate!

Other than that whats already been stated, yellowpages (which a lot of places is free locally), have a good website with pictures of your location, trucks, some different jobs, etc. You can advertise in local magazines, newspaper, etc. but probably a little expensive and not as effective as other methods. Lastly i would say maybe some type of billboard but im pretty sure those would be pricey! Be cheaper to get the decal shop to make you up some flyers or yard signs to put up at other local businesses, just make sure you ask first!
Darin
DarCole Products, Inc.
270-826-6499
darin@darcole.com
http://www.darcole.com
Darin@DarCole

Return to Advertising & Marketing