Yellow Pages Advertising

Yellow Pages Advertising

Postby CONEXPCJ on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:09 am

Well the time came for renewal of our yellow page listing. We decided to downsize the ad, as all have done in our area. We were tired of our old format, which we have used for about eight years. Extremely happy with the new design. Tell me what you think.
Attachments
2x4_Ad Yellow Pages.jpg
2x4_Ad Yellow Pages.jpg (87.68 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Concrete Express, Inc.
Salem, CT
conexpcj@comcast.net
CONEXPCJ

Re: Yellow Pages Advertising

Postby smnstn on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:26 pm

This is perfect! See my response directed at Lee Gentile with Mix-Rite Concrete.

Simon Stanfield
Last edited by smnstn on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smnstn

Postby harberconcrete on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I see a lot of "No Minimum Delivery" are many of you really selling one quarter yard of concrete to a customer and if you are there must be a significant delivery or short load charge?
Brad
harberconcrete

Postby LeeMR on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 am

Hey Brad,

I'm new to the business. Just started last year. I'm always interested in what more experienced mobile mixers have found successful. Naturally, I'm trying to get my business off the ground, but on the flip side, I don't want to give away the farm either. I know the concept behind "no minimum" quantity is to push our advantages over the drum guys, but you have a point about the profitability of that offering.

What would be your suggestion for delivery minimums? I'm currently charging 1/4 yard increments. If the meter goes just one click past say 1 cy, then I charge 1 1/4 yds. And yes, I'm one of those who put no minimum delivery in their ad. I think I am already regretting doing this, although I have not yet had anyone call me for just 1/4 yd.

Thanks,
Lee G.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby harberconcrete on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:05 pm

What I believe to be true is that most mobile mix (MM) companies base pricing and quantities off of what the competition is doing. If all or most of the concrete suppliers in your area have a two or three yard minimum then it would make very little sense to me to offer less than a one or two yard minimum and still incorporate a short load delivery charge similar to what the other guys are doing. Some MM have 3 yard maximum in areas where barrel companies have 3 yard minimum which can make for a good working relationship. Unfortunatley in my area everyone is willing to sell a one yard delivery with a short load delivery charge (even the union companies!) but it is different in other parts of the country, I know of at least 1 large MM company that charges for what the customer orders. If i were the only MM company in my area (there are two others who feel that their service shoud be cheeper than the barrel guys) I would either charge a premium for my service or I would incorporate a hybrid system, maybe split the difference between what the customer ordered and what they used with a surcharge if they under ordered. I know there are MM guys that are upset when you talk about anything other than "pay for what you use" but the fact remaines that at current fuel prices it costs a lot of money to haul an extra 2-3 yards of concrete around and not have some way to suppliment that cost. Note: I also operate in an area that is pretty spread out with an average delivery distance of 20 plus miles with no possibility of opening a material yard any closer. Anyway, the best answer for what you can charge is that you can charge whatever the market will allow in your area, and remember most of us are in this to earn a living so you must make a profit.
Brad
harberconcrete

Postby LeeMR on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 am

Hey Chris,

The ad looks awesome! Hits all the pertinent points, yet not too busy.

I was going to send you a copy of my ad for you to critique, but the forum would not let me post either a word doc. file or pdf file. Do you know what is up with that?

Thanks,
Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby admin on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Should be all set to attach .doc and .pdf files now.

Thanks,

-Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby LeeMR on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Hey Chris...here goes. Supposedly we can attach doc. and pdf. formats now. Tell me what you think about this ad. It's actually a card mailer that is going out through Superpages.

The $25 offer has been changed to read that you get the $25 if you refer a customer to us, after the initial customer has used the service.

The same ad is going to be posted in the yellow pages, less the $25 offer. Anyone else, I'd appreciate any suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks,
Lee G.
Attachments
Mix-Rite yellow page ad.pdf
(73.43 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com