New Volumetric Handbook

New Volumetric Handbook

Postby smnstn on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 am

This item might be of interest to all who view this forum. The ACI (American Concrete Institute), a "philosphical equivalent" of the ASTM, has a new spec. number and title available set forth in the information I have posted below. I have not yet seen an actual copy of this publication, but it is available in hard copy as well as digital "PDF" format. I'd appreciate some feedback from those who undertake the viewing of what could be a very valuable resource.

304.6R-09: Guide for Use of Volumetric-Measuring and Continuous-Mixing Concrete Equipment
Source: ACI
Publication date: April 8, 2009
This guide includes a short history of and information on the basic design and operation of equipment, frequently called mobile mixers, used to produce concrete by volumetric measurement and continuous mixing (VMCM). Definitions, applications, and quality assurance testing are discussed. The use of this equipment is compared with weigh-batch-mixing equipment to highlight some of the limited differences. Available in hard copy or PDF format.
To learn more or to order this document, go to 304.6R-09: Guide for Use of Volumetric-Measuring and Continuous-Mixing Concrete Equipment. $47.50 (ACI members $29.00); Order Code 304609.EM.
How to order:
Phone: 248-848-3800, and mention order code 304609.EM
Click: 304.6R-09: Guide for Use of Volumetric-Measuring and Continuous-Mixing Concrete Equipment.
smnstn

Re: New Volumetric Handbook

Postby LeeMR on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Hey Simon,

I actually bought a copy of this aci document, before I saw your posting. It does give the basics of volumetric concreting, as well as all the information needed for calibrating. Good basic document, but it probably doesn't hold any new information that anyone already in the volumetric business knows. Good information for newcomers, but i think we have done a better job here on this forum, addressing the issues for volumetric owners. Maybe we should publish our own manual...lol.

Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby smnstn on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 pm

There you go, Lee ... that's the kind of information I was looking for. If the powers that be would be willing to edit and add to a manual I have already written, we will be able to circumvent any possible copyright infringements and possibly print it up and sell it against the ACI publication -- which has to be very delicate in its point of view. In fact, we could use that as a "check" against anything MMH might publish. It kind of makes one take a deep breath and consider the term "intellectual property", doesn't it. Might be an oxymoron in this case ...

Who's going to the World of Concrete in February? Maybe we should have a MMH meeting apart from the traditional frustrating VMMB meeting???

Simon Stanfield (smnstn)
smnstn

Postby LeeMR on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 pm

There's more pertinent information for mobile mix owners, floating around in the heads of the members of this forum, that the ACI could EVER think of compiling. I think your manual would make the NY Times "Best Seller List"! OK....maybe that's a stretch...lol. But I think a book like that would do more for this industry as a whole, than anything I have seen to date. The more we all can hone our skills, the better is for the mobile mix community, our customers, and the validation of mobile mix concrete as a legitimate competitor to the drum guys.

Dust off that manuscript and polish it up Simon! I think it's an excellent idea.

Lee
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Return to General Discussion