Partnering with "Big Box" stores?

Partnering with "Big Box" stores?

Postby LeeMR on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Has anyone seen this? Check out this website: http://www.mobilemixaz.com/

Is it competition or just an isolated case? Seems like a good idea if you could set it up. But I would guess the "store" gets a cut. Any thoughts?

Lee G.
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Re: Partnering with "Big Box" stores?

Postby smnstn on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:58 pm

The store gets a big cut, Lee. You also have to wait until they get paid and then they cut you a check when they cut checks once a month. You can possibly be looking at a 60-90 day payout. Meanwhile you have to pay your suppliers. A couple of owner/operators have made deals to load and operate out of company yards where the store buys the materials. But then you can serve only their customers, and you pay for all the maintenance on your own equipment.

It would be better to figure out a deal whereby you give the store a commission for each order they generate for you. Home Depot has some operating history in this regard. If you're interested, check with Don Mullin to see what he knows, then check with your closest Home Depot manager.

Happy New Year!

S.
smnstn

Postby LeeMR on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:29 pm

I got a better idea!

I'm gonna grab my Sunday morning coffee, my computer and some paperwork, drive to Home Depot parking lot with my truck, and just sit there...

To put it another way..... I ain't payin' a cut to no one!!! LOL
Lee Gentile

MIX-RITE CONCRETE
http://www.mix-rite.com
888-MIX-RITE (649-7483)
228 Dedham Street
Norfolk, MA 02056
lee@mix-rite.com
LeeMR

Postby CONEXPCJ on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 pm

It is never a bad idea to associate your concrete business with any business where you might be able to get high visibility. When we first started in 1991, we always kept one of our trucks in front of a very popular garden center to increase our visibility. We encourage everyone we start in business to find high visibility area to place their truck when not busy. Many people work 9-5 jobs and may not ever see your truck during the day. Therefore, weekends are a good time to park your truck in a high profile spot!
Concrete Express, Inc.
Salem, CT
conexpcj@comcast.net
CONEXPCJ

Postby smnstn on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Some of the big hardware chains used to have bulletin boards where you could post small brochures or business cards. I don't have any feedback on the effectiveness of this approach.

Simon Stanfield
smnstn

Return to General Discussion