Admix Systems

Admix Systems

Postby don.mullin on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Admix Systems

We are all faced with several options for introducing admixtures into our concrete. Some of these choices are as follows:

1. The peristaltic, or roller pump is driven off the conveyor by a sprocket and chain system, incorporating a manual by-pass while simultaneously feeding a flow meter that regulates the rate of the admixture.

2. An electric pump that feeds a flowmeter that regulates the flow-rate of the admixture.

3. An air over hydraulic system, high or low pressure, feeds a flow meter and regulates the flow-rate of the admixture.

4. In addition, I feel that the original gravity feed system introduced by Irl Daffin back when Concretia roamed the earth is worthy of at least a mention!

The above listed methods to my knowledge cover the available options.

Consideration for selection should include your initial costs, replacement costs, maintenance costs, reliability, accuracy, and dependability, all of equal importance.

A major problem with not utilizing a regulated admix system is the lack of control. If an operator introduces admixtures into their water tank, problems will arise:

1. No inspector for a specific job would approve of this method.

2. If a customer filled his dog’s water bowl out of the truck, it could make him deathly ill.

3. If you or a customer got cement splatter in your eyes, washing them out with this water could have dire consequences.

4. Washing off your tools, chutes, and equipment with the chemically treated water and allowing this water into storm drains would surely cause environmental problems.

5. When you pre-load or top off your tank, do you just take an educated guess at how much of what chemical additive you should replenish. Will the dosage work with your next job’s mix-design???

Regardless of what the chosen method of introduction is, be aware that as many admix systems as needed can be installed on your mixer.

By OSHA regulation, a tank exceeding a 50 gallon capacity has to be clearly labeled “for water only”. In addition to this MSDS documentation has to be carried for chemical and admix tank contents.

The effectivity of an admix when diluted seems to cause debate. However, when a specified amount of concentrate is initially diluted for intended better disbursement or, if in concentrate is introduced in to the water line, the end result is arguably equal. If the concentrate were introduced into the bowl assembly simultaneously with the four other ingredients, it would have 9 feet, or approximately 15 seconds to be effective, or achieve the desired result.

The 1 size fits all scenario is impossible. Geographically our raw materials vary in density, porosity, temperature, etc. and a dozen other variables. No one admix will work in all cases,

You should begin by analyzing your raw materials, do gradation tests, determine moisture content, and select a mix design. If possible, check with another mobile mix operator nearby and seek advice. Meet with your cement sales company represenative, admix sales rep. and follow through with testing.

Keep in mind that the manufacturer of your equipment will only survive if you continue to produce a good product. They have the benefit of many years of knowledge with varied applications and are generally much better equipped to advise you on problems and will always be willing to help to resolve them.

I want to make it abundantly clear that I don’t profess to know any more than the next guy. I only wish all you guys out there would register and participate by sharing thoughts, improvements, and information. This is your forum for your opinions, ideas, or information; let’s utilize it!

“Don’t model yourself after anyone else - be yourself - everyone else is already taken!”
Don Mullin
Concrete Express, Inc.
(860)625-1428

http://www.concrete-express.com
don.mullin

Re: Admix Systems

Postby smnstn on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Good critique on admix systems, Don. I have fiddled around with a few besides those you mention. Some have been incredibly primitive and remarkably effective. I just want to throw out the fact here that Specco's MSDS and Data Sheets can be printed right off their website. So, if it's desirable to carry a copy in the truck door pocket, you can print it out instantly. Should I also mention that the dosage instructions are included on the Data Sheets?

Simon
smnstn

Postby Darin@DarCole on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:19 pm

don.mullin wrote:Admix Systems

A major problem with not utilizing a regulated admix system is the lack of control. If an operator introduces admixtures into their water tank, problems will arise:

1. No inspector for a specific job would approve of this method.
why not? In all of our experience, we have never had an inspector refuse the use of admix directly in the water tank. Once the inspector understands the theory, they are much happier to have the admixtures introduced this way!

2. If a customer filled his dog’s water bowl out of the truck, it could make him deathly ill.
What type of admixtures are you using? Our products are all "green" (many food grade raw materials and environmentally friendly) and exactly how often does this happen? Our dosage rate is roughly 1 gal/100 gal water (depending on what chemicals are used and application) so if your dog drank 1 gallon of treated water appx 1.25 ounces of chemical.....and i know my dog has walked by a bucket and took a swig of chemical before and its still alive and well...! Plus I've drank more chemical than that full strength from a busted hose! Most concrete trucks, volumetric or readymix are labeled as Non-Potable anyways as well..

3. If you or a customer got cement splatter in your eyes, washing them out with this water could have dire consequences.
Whatever additives your using might cause negative consequences, but our additives will not adversely affect your eyes at the dilution prevously mentioned.

4. Washing off your tools, chutes, and equipment with the chemically treated water and allowing this water into storm drains would surely cause environmental problems.
again, our products are envirinmentally safe and have been tested by the EPA due to turned over trucks and spilling treated water onto roadways. Zero cleanup had to be involved on the treated water, but only the rock, sand, and cement. Our products actually aid in cleanup of auger, chute, tools, etc.

5. When you pre-load or top off your tank, do you just take an educated guess at how much of what chemical additive you should replenish. Will the dosage work with your next job’s mix-design???
Are you trying to say that a person can effectively run an admix system, but would not be able to look at a water tank and see how much water is left and know what the max fill level is? All you have to do is look at how much water is left in the water tank decide how much water you want to add, look at your flowchart (dosage chart) and see how many ounces of chemical your going to need for the extra water you need to add. and if your trucks water tank does not have a gauge on it we have a way of measuring the tank to label a gallon gauge on it reversed so you dont even have to do math in your head, just add what the water level shows!.

Regardless of what the chosen method of introduction is, be aware that as many admix systems as needed can be installed on your mixer.

By OSHA regulation, a tank exceeding a 50 gallon capacity has to be clearly labeled “for water only”. In addition to this MSDS documentation has to be carried for chemical and admix tank contents.

The effectivity of an admix when diluted seems to cause debate. However, when a specified amount of concentrate is initially diluted for intended better disbursement or, if in concentrate is introduced in to the water line, the end result is arguably equal. If the concentrate were introduced into the bowl assembly simultaneously with the four other ingredients, it would have 9 feet, or approximately 15 seconds to be effective, or achieve the desired result.[/i]

Have you used all these different types of admix systems you spoke of? Have you also used DarCole Products, Incorporated additives directly in the water tank ? Our products have been developed to be able to use straight in the water tank and most additives you cannot use in the water tank because they will not stay suspended like ours has been formulated to. Our admixtures have a 25+ year experience being used directly in the water supply tank, and they have proven themselves time and again with customer satisfaction, ease of use, and effectivity! Our admixtures can also be used in admix tank and work just as well, it is just our recomendation when using our product to add directly in the water tank.
Darin
DarCole Products, Inc.
270-826-6499
darin@darcole.com
http://www.darcole.com
Darin@DarCole

Postby Darin@DarCole on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:24 pm

smnstn wrote:Good critique on admix systems, Don. I have fiddled around with a few besides those you mention. Some have been incredibly primitive and remarkably effective. I just want to throw out the fact here that Specco's MSDS and Data Sheets can be printed right off their website. So, if it's desirable to carry a copy in the truck door pocket, you can print it out instantly. Should I also mention that the dosage instructions are included on the Data Sheets?

Simon

That is a good idea to have your MSDS and spec sheets available to your customers on their website. However we furnish our customers with a complete notebook containing all admixture information including msds, specs, dosages, etc. This is also a DOT requirement to have MSDS for any chemicals on board. And if for some reason a customer isnt near their notebook we are more than willing to fax or email any information they need right away!
Darin
DarCole Products, Inc.
270-826-6499
darin@darcole.com
http://www.darcole.com
Darin@DarCole

Return to Don's Corner